These sweet treats are made without refined sugar and instead owe their rich flavour to maple syrup and molasses. Thanks to Theresa Albert for sharing them with us!Recipe courtesy of My Friend In Food
2/3 cup unsweetened dried blueberries
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup melted butter
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
2 cups quick-cook rolled oats
1 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp clove
1/2 tsp nutmeg
5 squares dark chocolate (70% or higher)
- Line a small baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a blender, chop dried blueberries. Add molasses and maple syrup and blend again. Melt butter in microwave for 30-45 seconds and blend into mixture.
- Stir together all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour blueberry mixture into dry ingredients and use a spatula to fold together.
- Firmly press mixture into baking sheet to about 1/4-inch depth. (Note: it will not fill the pan so scrunch foil up against dough to hold in place.)
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Bars should be browned and firm before removing. Cut into squares or bars before cooling as they will harden as they cool. Remove to an airtight container and store for up to 2 weeks.
- Optional: Melt 4-5 squares of dark 70% chocolate and drizzle on top after slicing.