Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 500-kg top-sirloin or sirloin tip steaks*, about 1 in. thick
1/4 cup (50 mL) Voula's sassy steak spice or your favourite steak seasoning
Note: Voula's easy oven-roasted peppers are the perfect accompaniment to this dish. Prepare them first, then, while they are in the oven, barbecue your steak.
- Bring meat to room temperature. Oil grill, then heat to medium high.
- Sprinkle steak with seasoning, about 1 tbsp (30 mL) per side.
- Barbecue steak, uncovered, for 4 to 6 min per side. (Steak is best served medium rare. For well done, cook a little longer.)
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 min, then slice into thin strips. Best served with potato salad or roasted potatoes and vegetables.
*Top sirloin has a little more fat and costs a bit more than the leaner sirloin tip. Both work well for grilling and slicing.
Voula's Sassy Steak Spice
Makes 1 cup (250 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin seed
1 tbsp (15 mL) coriander seed or fennel seed
1 tbsp (15 mL) brown mustard seed
3 tbsp (45 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup (50 mL) dried minced onion
1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated garlic
1 tbsp (15 mL) celery seed
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme leaves
3 tbsp (45 mL) dried oregano
- Add cumin, coriander and mustard seeds to a small pan and set over medium heat. Stirring often, toast seeds just until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Add toasted seeds to a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Store in a jar.