Here's a hearty and flavourful loaf from Chef Voula that's both unique and budget friendly. This is great thinly sliced and served on a platter with hummus and a selection of cheese, sliced avocado, and sliced meats. Add a bowl of soup to the evening and you've got a perfect meal!
For Voula's Lovable Leftover, we're toasting up bite sized pieces of our loaf and serving it up in a Middle Eastern inspired veggie and bread salad.
5 large eggs, or 10 egg whites
1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted raw or roasted sunflower seeds
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted raw or roasted pumpkin seeds
1 cup (250 mL) sliced almonds
1 cup (250 mL) sesame seeds
1 cup (250 mL) ground flax seeds
1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped sundried tomato, or for a sweet version, use finely chopped dried figs
1 tbsp (30 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL ) salt
- Heat oven to 325F (160C).
- Lightly coat or spray a 9x5 in. (2 L) loaf pan or three 5 ½x3 in. (2 cups) mini loaf pans with oil and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl lightly whisk eggs together with oil. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan(s). Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until edges of loaf are golden and the loaf is firm to the touch. If the top looks moist and bubbly, don't be concerned. This will settle when the loaf cools.
- Cool completely in pan before removing. Slice thinly with a serrated knife and serve. Store extra loaf in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This loaf freezes nicely too. Cover well in plastic wrap to freeze. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before serving.
Faboulous Seedy Fattoush
½ English cucumber or 3 Lebanese or mini cucumbers
1 pint cherry tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes
1 green pepper
½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
¼ cup (50 mL) coarsely chopped mint
½ (125 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
2 cups (500 mL) bite size pieces of *toasted Super Seedy Sundried Tomato and Cracked Pepper Loaf
⅓ cup (75 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- Slice cucumber in half lengthwise and using a small spoon remove seeds from the core by scooping out. Cut each length into bite size pieces and place into a large salad bowl. Cut baby tomatoes in half, or if using large tomatoes, cut each one into eight wedges. Thinly slice radishes. Add tomatoes and radishes bowl with cucumber, along with onion, mint, parsley and the toasted seed loaf.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Drizzle over salad. Lightly toss everything together and serve.
*To crisp up the loaf, place slices onto a baking pan and bake in preheated 350F (180C) for about 3 minutes. Allow to cool before breaking into bite size pieces.
Yield: Makes one 9x5" loaf or three 5 1/2 x 3" loaves