A dessert to die for from Ricardo Larrivee, and it's made in a slow cooker! Place a cloth under the lid to absorb the extra steam. This way, the top of the cake will not get wet. Serve with soft whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
Caramel Sauce2 cups (500 mL) 35% cream
2 cups (500 mL) brown sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted or semi-salted butter
Cake3/4 cup (180 mL) water
1 cup (250 mL) pitted dates, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted or semi-salted butter, softened
1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
3/4 cup (180 mL) milk
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and dates to a boil. Add 1 mL (1/4 tsp) of the baking soda and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and the remaining 4 mL (3/4 tsp) of baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. On low speed, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Stir in the date mixture.
- Spread the batter in the slow cooker. Pour half the caramel sauce over the batter. Place a clean cloth over the slow cooker, making sure it does not touch the batter, and cover with the lid. Cook on low for 3 hours. With a skewer, pierce holes all over the surface of the cake and drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce. Continiue cooking for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot or warm.
Excerpt from Ricardo: Slow Cooker Favourites. Published by HarperCollins Ltd, by arrangement with Les Éditions La Presse Ltée, Montreal, Canada.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours
Yield: Serves 8