This zesty salad from Ricardo Larrivee is an easy and flavourful way to to dress up store bought baby spinach greens.
Vinaigrette3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
to taste salt and pepper
Salad1 red onion, cut into 12 wedges
1 yellow onion, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices
16 cipollini onions
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
2 slices crusty bread, cubed
4 cups (1 L) baby spinach
For the Vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Salad
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- On a baking sheet, toss the onions with half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, stirring frequently, for 35 to 40 minutes or until the onions are tender and begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown the bread in the remaining oil. Season with salt. Drain on a paper towel.
- Divide the spinach among four plates. Garnish with the roasted onions and croutons. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
Yield: Serves 4