When it's cold outside, everyone loves a comforting bowl of chicken soup. Chef Rodney Bowers shares his version with a fresh, south-of-the-border twist. You can find the recipe for Rodney's homemade chicken broth here.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 large sweet onion, minced
2 red peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, sliced, removing half the seeds
1 large can whole tomatoes, hand mashed
8 cups chicken broth
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano
1 tsp fresh ground cumin
2 cups cooked brown rice
4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
to taste salt and pepper
Garnish2 limes, cut into wedges to squeeze
4 radish , finely sliced
1 jalapeno, finely sliced
4 tbsp cilantro, leaves picked
2 avocado, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic and jalapeno. Sweat until onions are translucent. Add the oregano and cumin and saute for a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, stock and bring to a boil. Add the cooked brown rice.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer for 5 more minutes, until chicken is warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish and serve.