Elegant all-in-one shrimp cocktail bites bring bread, dip and seafood together beautifully. If you'd like to forgo the bread, the cocktail sauce alone is a great dip for shrimp. It also makes an ideal topper for broiled fish. Thanks to Annabelle Waugh for sharing this recipe with us!
7 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
28 frozen, cooked, peeled medium shrimp, tails removed and rinsed (about 300g)
for garnish fresh cilantro leaves
Cocktail Sauce1/4 cup (60 mL) light mayonnaise
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared horseradish
2 tsp (10 mL) tomato-based chili sauce
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Using rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness; cut each into 4 squares. Brush cups of mini muffin tin with half of the butter.
- Press square into each well; brush with remaining butter. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven until golden, about 6 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- Make-ahead: Let stand at room temperature for up to 3 hours.
- Cocktail Sauce: Meanwhile, in bowl, stir together mayonnaise, cilantro, horseradish, chili sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Fill each toast cup with about 1/2 tsp of the sauce; top with shrimp. Garnish with cilantro.
From Canadian Living Magazine: December 2013
Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 28 pieces