1 L buttermilk
4 tsp salt
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1 4-lb. whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
2 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
pinch each nutmeg, allspice and cayenne
oil (sufficient for frying)
- Whisk buttermilk and salt together. Add thyme, garlic and onions.
- Add chicken to milk mixture, cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, paprika, black pepper, mustard powder, nutmeg, allspice and cayenne together until evenly combined.
- Drain chicken and add to flour mixture; toss to coat completely. If you like a super crispy coating, redip chicken in buttermilk, then again in flour.
- Heat oil to 350 F in deep fryer or large, deep pot. (Use deep-fry thermometer to test temperature.) Place coated chicken carefully into oil.
- Fry until crispy and chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 F when probed with thermometer. Serve with waffles and maple syrup!