For the cookie monster at your Halloween party, whip up a batch of these pumpkin tangerine cookies! Chef Kyla Eaglesham shares her recipe for these festive baked treats.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar (granulated or palm)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon finely grated tangerine zest
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pumpkin seeds for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. For cookies: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, five-spice powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat sugar, butter, and zest with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until blended. Reduce speed to low and beat in the flour mixture just until blended.
4. Divide dough into 2 discs and wrap with saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour until firm.
5. Roll dough into balls roughly 1 tbsp. in size. Insert pumpkin seed to create "stem." Freeze for 1 hour.
6. Bake (from frozen) on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes on cooling racks.