Tangy sourdough and hearty pumpernickel bread help elevate this savoury stuffing from Chef Jonathan Collins. Serve with his roasted turkey with herbes de provence.
1 loaf pumpernickel bread
1 loaf sourdough bread
5 stalks celery
4 small onions
1 leek, whites only
3 tbsp Herbes de Provence
1 lb smoked sausage
1 lb unsalted butter
to taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice bread into bite-size cubes the day before if possible. Allow to dry uncovered.
- Peel and fine dice onion and celery. Top, stem and peel leek then thinly slice.
- Slice sausage into bite-size pieces and sauté until browned. Combine onion, celery and leek, sauté until tender.
- Season with salt, pepper and herbes de provence. Add butter until melted, remove from heat to cool.
- Fold dried bread with vegetable mixture in a large bowl.
- Let mixture cool completely before stuffing turkey.