This is a perfect cool weather salad from Chef Joshna Maharaj, with both raw and cooked elements. The lemon in the vinaigrette cuts the bitterness of the kale while the maple adds a richness to the radicchio. The grains are less of a focus, just scattered around to add substance and body to this dish.
1 head radicchio, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
4 stalks kale, spines removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
For Dressing1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sunflower oil, plus more for sauteeing
as needed kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
To Finish1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
1 cup cooked quinoa, barley, farro or brown rice
1 small handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
For Trout2 trout fillets, about 6-8 oz each
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup flour for dusting, optional
juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Marinate trout: pat trout dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over and add chopped thyme. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, up to a few hours.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil on medium high heat in a sauté pan. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat sprouts with oil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add 1 tbsp sunflower oil to pan, then add kale. Season lightly with salt and pepper and toss to coat leaves in oil. Saute for about 2 minutes, until slightly wilted, bright green and still holding its shape. Transfer to bowl with Brussels sprouts. Increase heat under sauté pan to high.
- Add olive oil and butter to a medium hot pan. Lightly press skin side of trout fillet into flour and dust off excess. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Carefully add to hot pan, skin side down. Add thyme sprigs to pan as well. Let sear, without flipping, until skin is golden and crispy, about 5-6 minutes. Gently flip filets and finish cooking on other side, about a minute or two. Carefully remove from pan and set aside.
- Make vinaigrette: Place maple vinegar, lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. While whisking, drizzle in ½ cup sunflower oil until you have a smooth and homogenous mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Assemble salad: Combine radicchio, kale & Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl. Pour 2/3 of the vinaigrette over vegetables and toss gently to coat. Add walnuts and parsley, then sprinkle the quinoa over the salad, tossing gently to combine. Taste and add more vinaigrette if necessary.
- Lay trout fillets over greens and finish with lemon zest and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4-6