Here's a great recipe for entertaining from Ricardo Larrivee: I know you are probably saying, "What? Having guests for dinner and serving them a meal from a slow cooker?" I am familiar with the prejudice. And yet...you can turn the slow cooker on at eleven Saturday morning, do some errands, drive the kids to their various lessons, drop in at the dry cleaners's, and everything with be ready when your guests arrive at six. What more can you ask for?
Osso Buco4 to 6 veal shanks, about 5 cm (2 inches) thick
1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, and finely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) veal stock
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
to taste salt and pepper
Gremolata2 lemons, grated zest only
1/4 chop (60 mL) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
to taste pepper
- Dredge the veal shanks in the flour.
- In a large skillet, brown both sides of the shanks in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, soften the onion and garlic. Add oil if needed. Deglaze wtih the wine and transfer to the cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Season wtih salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Adjust the seasoning.
- In a bowl, combine all the the ingredients. Arrange with osso buco on plates and sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve wtih pasta or mashed potatoes.
Excerpt from Ricardo: Slow Cooker Favourites. Published by HarperCollins Ltd, by arrangement with Les Éditions La Presse Ltée, Montreal, Canada.
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 6 Hours
Yield: Serves 4