Olive oil in baked goods is something you will often see in Greek, Italian and Spanish recipes. This vibrant lemon-zesty cake from Chef Voula Halliday will come out tender and moist, with a crumb texture that looks and feels delicate. A slice of this is a bright and satisfying finish to any meal. Serve Voula's Lovable Leftover the next day for breakfast, as a Warm Lemon Slice with Yogurt and Fresh Fruit.
3/4 cup (175 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1/4 cup (50 mL) honey
to serve vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche
- Lightly oil the inside of a 6-cup (1.5 L) pudding basin, or a heat proof bowl.
- Finely grate peel from lemons. Squeeze juice from 1 lemon (you need about ⅓ cup (75 mL) juice). Set zest and juice aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the olive oil and sugar until very well combined, about 3 minutes. Beat eggs into mixture, one at a time, then vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl using a whisk or a fork, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and reserved grated lemon zest. With mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture into egg mixture until combined. Mix in the reserved lemon juice. Pour into prepared pudding basin.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper and a piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover the top of the bowl and hang down over the edge about 1 ½ inches (3.5 cm). Lay parchment paper, and then foil, over the top of the bowl and fold over the edge. Using a cotton kitchen string tie the paper in place just below the rim of the bowl to create a secure “lid” over the top of the bowl.
- Fold a clean tea town in three and place it on the bottom of a large wide saucepan. Set pudding basin on the tea towel in the centre of the pot. Pour boiling water into the pot until it reaches two thirds up the side of the bowl.
- Set the pot on medium high heat until it comes to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan stir together the blueberries, water, and honey. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 7 to10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- When pudding is done, carefully lift the hot bowl out of the pan. Remove strings and foil. Turn pudding out onto a serving plate. Rest pudding for 5 minutes then cut into slices and serve steaming pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of crème fraîche. Top with some blueberry sauce.
Voula’s Lovable Leftovers: Warm Lemon Slice with Yogurt and Fresh Fruit
- Heat oven to 350F (180F). Lay out sliced lemon pudding onto a baking pan and place into preheated oven for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with any of these favourite additions: vanilla yogurt, a drizzle of honey, toasted sliced almonds, sliced fruit or berries.
Slices can also be served at room temperature.