Enjoy these chewy and moist Paleo cookies from Danielle Walker. They have the texture of the oatmeal cookies you remember, but without the grain! You can dress these up by adding other dried fruits, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips.
1/4 cup palm shortening
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup blanched almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp finely ground flaxseeds
3/4 cup finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the shortening and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer and cream for 1 minute. Alternatively, use an electric hand mixer.
- Add the honey and vanilla and mix for another minute, until creamy.
- Place the cinnamon, nutmeg, flours, baking soda, salt and flaxseeds in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for another minute, until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix again for 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut and raisins, then mix again for a minute.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, drop balls of dough the size of a golf ball onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place another piece of parchment paper over the cookies, then use a spatula to gently press them down into circles about ¼-ince thick.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
Recipe from Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great, by Danielle Walker.
Yield: 1 dozen cookies