With the rush of school, work and extra-curricular activites in full swing, you'll love the ease of this meltingly-tender pot roast from your slow cooker. Thanks to Christine Tizzard from Best Recipes Ever for sharing with us!
3 lb (1.4 kg) boneless beef cross rib pot roast
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL ) vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) dried marjoram
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
4 cups (1 L) button mushrooms, quartered
1/3 cup (75 mL) sodium-reduced beef stock
2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown beef all over, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Discard any fat from pan; add remaining oil. Cook onion, carrots, celery, garlic, marjoram and oregano over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker.
- Stir in stock, scraping up brown bits; boil for 1 minute and pour into slow cooker. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce; cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until beef is tender.
- Transfer meat to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine: January 2008
Yield: Serves 6