We love Chef Carmine Accogli's meatball sandwiches — especially the over-the-top, giant ones! Follow the original recipe for classic, standard-sized meatballs, or double the recipe, roll larger pieces and increase baking time to 1 hour to super-size!
To Assemble Sandwiches
4 crusty Italian buns
Meatballs and Tomato Sauce
sliced green or black olives
hot banana peppers
canned marinated artichoke hearts
fresh basil leaves
sauteed red peppers
hot chili flakes
1. Split buns in half. Toast lightly if desired.
2. Fill with meatballs, tomato sauce, and toppings of your choice!
2 tbsp. olive oil
¼ onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
8 cups Italian San Marzano Plum Tomatoes (pureed)
Salt and crushed chillies, to taste
8 basil leaves, torn into the finished sauce
½ teaspoon of butter
1. Puree plum tomatoes with the juice in a food processor or chop them finely.
2. Sweat onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium heat.
3. Season with salt & chillies to taste. Set to minimum heat.
4. To finish, add torn basil and butter and stir.
6 ounces ground veal
6 ounces ground beef
6 ounces ground pork
¼ teaspoon of pureed garlic
¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
¼ teaspoon of Paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup bread crumbs (unseasoned)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Add meat to large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients in and mix by hand until fully incorporated and can be rolled into a ball.
3. Roll each ball about 1 inch in diameter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. When all meatballs are rolled, bake in oven for 20 minutes, rotating occasionally.
5. Transfer baked meatballs to tomato sauce, and simmer another 5-10 minutes.