This is the signature dish at Vij's — probably Vikram's most famous and most popular. The size of the lamb popsicles will depend on the rack of lamb you buy. If the popsicles are bigger, then four per order is usually enough. This recipe is for 30 medium-size popsicles, with five per order. Serve these popsicles over turmeric new potatoes.
Lamb1/4 cup sweet white wine
3/4 cup grainy yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 lbs French-cut racks of lamb, in chops
Curry Sauce4 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried green fenugreek leaves
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp turmeric
- Combine wine, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lamb and coat well with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice.
- Heat 3 to 4 Tbsp of the oil in a medium pot on medium heat and sauté garlic until golden.
- Stir in turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream mixture and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it is gently boiling.
- Preheat a stove-top cast iron grill or barbeque to high heat. Place lamb on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Serve popsicles piping hot off the grill. Place four to five lamb chops on each plate. Pour the cream curry over the meat or ladle it into a small bowl and use it as a dipping sauce for the popsicles.
Yield: Serves 6