Celebrate the holidays in East Coast style with this decadent lobster pot pie from Chef Lynn Crawford.
Bechamel1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups whole milk
1 cup 10% cream
to taste nutmeg, salt and pepper
1 tsp chopped tarragon
1/2 tsp chopped thyme
Filling4 cups cooked lobster, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 leek, white part only, diced
1 small fennel bulb, diced
1 cup celery root, peeled and diced (about 1/2 half medium piece)
2 cups butternut squash, diced (about 1/2 medium piece)
1 cup white wine, or vegetable or chicken stock
Parmesan Biscuits2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
1 cup cold buttermilk
1 egg beaten, for egg wash
3 tbsp chopped chives
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and stir, toasting for about 2 minutes. Stream in milk and cream, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.
- Bring up to a low simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is cooked and thickens slightly, about 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg. Remove from heat. Add chopped thyme and tarrgon.
- In a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat, add butter and olive oil. Saute onion, celery, carrot, leek, fennel and butternut squash until cooked through, adding white wine or stock for moisture. about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
For Parmesan Biscuits
- Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor using the dough blade and blend. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until fine meal forms. Add cheese .Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough. Add chives. Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns. Pat out dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 3-inch-diameter cookie cutter cut out biscuits. Gather scraps, pat out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut additional biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a large oven safe rectangular (approx 10" x 7") casserole or baking dish.
- Combine lobster pieces, cooked vegetables and bechamel. Pour into baking dish. Top with cut biscuit rounds. Brush biscuits with egg wash.
- 3. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 30-45 mins. Cover with foil for the last 10 minutes or so if biscuits start getting too dark. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 - 8 servings