By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
4 potatoes, approx. 2 lb. (1 kg), peeled and cut in chunks
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
2 cups (500 mL) cooked turkey or chicken, cubed
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen mixed vegetables
2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan
- In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender; drain and mash with 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk, 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and half each of the salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in remaining milk, salt and pepper, mustard, lemon juice and thyme; cook, whisking often, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add turkey and vegetables; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour into 8-in. (2-L) casserole dish. Spread potatoes over top; sprinkle with Parmesan. Broil for 2 minutes or until golden.
Kary Osmond loves being the face of CBC's successful daily cooking show Best Recipes Ever. She is the ambassador of back-to-basics food every afternoon, teaching Canadians coast-to-coast how to prepare the very best of Canadian Living's renowned recipe library, one Tested Till Perfect recipe at a time.