We all know how to make good ol' American tater tots, so why not combine them with Korean short ribs? This fusion recipe from James Cunningham's Eat St. Cookbook will be sure to have your taste buds singing!
from Dim Ssam a GoGo in Miami Florida
Kalbi Short Rib Marinade
1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
1 onion, sliced
1 apple, sliced
1 lb (450 g) Korean-style short ribs, 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick
1 cup (250 mL) shredded white Oaxaca, mozzarella, or other melting cheese
1 cup (250 mL) Korean red pepper paste
1 clove garlic
1 green onion, coarsely chopped
Kalbi Chunk'd Tots
Canola oil, for deep-frying
1 lb (450 g) frozen potato nuggets
A pinch of sea salt
Chopped green onions
1. Marinate the short ribs the day before. In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, pepper, onion, and apple. Add short ribs, turning to coat. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, overnight.
2. For the cheese sauce, in a food processor, combine cheese, red pepper paste, garlic and green onions. Process until smooth, adding a little water if necessary to blend sauce. Set aside.
3. For the Kalbi Chunk'd Tots, preheat grill to high. Remove short ribs from marinade (discarding marinade). Grill short ribs until well done, turning once, about 3 minutes each side. Transfer to a cutting board and keep warm.
4. In a deep fryer or deep, heavy saucepan, heat 2 inches (5cm) of canola oil to 375 F. Working in batches if necessary, deep fry potato nuggets until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. With a slotted spoon, transfer nuggets to a large bowl. Toss with sea salt. Add cheese sauce and toss until coated. Transfer to a serving bowl.
6. Slice short ribs into bite-sized pieces, discarding bones. Top nuggets with short rib meat, and serve garnished with green onions and hot sauce.