Chef Joshna's recipe is a delicious twist on a holiday favourite! Allowing the turkey to marinate and absorb all of the flavours of the spices before you roast it will create a deep and richly infused flavour. Serve with a simple cranberry chutney or a saffron veloute.
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp kosher salt
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled & minced
1lb butter or ghee
1 15lb turkey
1. Toast coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cool. Grind spices to powder in spice grinder. Transfer spice powder to small bowl. Add in turmeric, cayenne, fenugreek leaves, garam masala, salt, garlic and ginger and mix to combine.
2. Sprinkle 1 tbsp spice mixture in main cavity of turkey and remaining spice mixture all over turkey skin; tie legs together to hold shape. Refrigerate uncovered overnight.
3. The next day, place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan; tuck wings under. Let turkey stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Melt butter in a small pot on the stove and generously brush the spiced turkey with melted butter. Keep the pot on the stove to continue basting the bird as it roasts.
5. Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 425°F. Roast turkey for about 1½ hours, until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F. Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, tenting with foil if necessary to keep heat in. Carve turkey and serve.