Enjoy the taste of the tropics year round with this flavourful jerk spiced chicken. Chef Joshna shows us how to make the recipe from Sugar and Spice and Everything Irie. Check out her Jamaican rice and peas recipe and simple coleslaw for the perfect sides!
1 4lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup white vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp ground allspice
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 large sprigs fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic
½ scotch bonnet pepper
1. In a bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, allspice, salt, pepper, ginger, sugar, cinnamon and thyme. Chop (do not blend) the green onions, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper as finely as possible; add to the oil mixture and stir well.
2. Add the chicken to the spice mixture and, wearing gloves, massage the spice mixture into the chicken with your hands. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for at least 5 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Spread marinated chicken on the baking sheet. Cover with foil and abke for 30 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Remove the foil and broil the chicken until browned, turning once for even browning. Don't overcook. Discard the thyme sprigs before serving.
5. This dish can also be cooked on a barbecue. Grill for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink at the bone, basting with the remaining marinade.