Flavoured liqueurs are so popular, but did you know they're also easy to make? We turned to Cocktail Deeva Dee to teach us how to infuse our booze.
Before you start mixing it up, be prepared with the perfect soundtrack. Our friends at CBC Music have put together the ultimate cocktail hour Canadian playlist, featuring songs by Tegan and Sara, Arcade Fire, Feist, Young Galaxy, Diamond Rings, Kathleen Edwards and more. Check out the playlist of S&C-approved party tunes right here!
And now that you're equpped with the perfect tunes, on to Dee's delicious recipes!
Many cocktail recipes call for these different flavours, and you can really control what goes into your booze when you do it yourself.
1 1/2 liters brandy
4 cups of sugar
1 cup water
- Using a fine grater, grate the outer peel off the oranges and lime. Avoid getting the bitter white rind.
- Pour out enough of the brandy to make room for the citrus zest. Add the zest to the bottle and recap.
- Let sit for 4 weeks, gently turning the bottle daily to incorporate the flavors.
- After 4 weeks: carefully strain the liquid over a large bowl or container using a fine strainer to remove the citrus bits.
- Then, strain again through a coffee filter to further clarify the liqueur.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat make a simple syrup with the water and sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the simple syrup to the liquid and rebottle. Let sit for an addition 4 weeks, gently turning daily.
Cocktail Recipe: Sunkissed
1 oz gin
1 oz Cointreau
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz grapefruit juice
Garnish with fresh fruit
- Mix all together on ice.
1 cup half and half or heavy cream
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey (Jameson's recommended)
1 tsp. instant coffee
2 tbs. chocolate syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
- Pour all ingredients in blender and mix on high for about 30 seconds. Pour into sealable containers and store in refrigerator up to 2 months. Shake before using.
Cocktail Recipe: Banana Split Martini
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz banana liqueur
1 oz Baileys
½ tbsp. cocoa powder
Vanilla ice cream
- Mix all ingredients together and garnish with a maraschino cherry and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
1 pound of bacon
40 of vodka
- Cook pound of bacon
- Let it cool and place in a large container.
- Add a 40 of vodka and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Scoop off the extra fat and strain the mix into a bottle.
Cocktail Recipe: Bacon Vodka Caesar
8 oz Clamato juice
2 oz bacon vodka
1 oz pickle juice
1 tbsp horseradish
3 dashes worcestershire
2 dashes tabasco
3 ½ tbsp. celery salt
½ tsp. black pepper
- Mix Clamato juice, bacon vodka, pickle juice, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, celery salt, lime and black pepper together.
- Shave fresh horseradish into your mix.
- Garnish with a bacon-wrapped scallop!