This versatile cookie recipe from Chef Kyla Eaglesham is perfect for your holiday baking needs. Well wrapped, it keeps for up to three months in the freezer.
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well to combine. Mix in vanilla (or flavoring and colour).
- Turn mixer to low speed and slowly add flour until just combined.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until just barely golden on the edges, 7 -12 minutes depending on the size of the cookie.
- Cool completely on a baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Orange Cardamom Cookies
Replace vanilla with orange extract. Add the zest of ½ lemon and 1 tsp ground cardamom. Proceed to step 3.
Fresh Ginger Sugar Cookies
Add 1tbsp fresh grated ginger and 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger to flour and toss. Follow steps 1 and 2.
Before chilling dough, roll into tubes and roll tubes in sparkling sugar. Proceed to step 3. Once dough is chilled slice into 1cm discs. Proceed to step 4.
Chocolate and Vanilla Spirals
Prepare one batch of vanilla cookie dough and refrigerate.
Chocolate Recipe: Add ¼ c cocoa powder to sugar. Add ½ cup milk to eggs. Follow steps 1-3.
Roll vanilla cookie dough and chocolate cookie dough out on separate sheets of parchment.
Layer one on top of the other and roll into a tube. Slice into 1 cm discs. Proceed with step 4.
Yield: Approximately 45 slice and bake cookies