With eight kids, birthdays are a big deal in the Gosselin household. Kate Gosselin stopped by to show us how to make the Gosselin family traditional birthday cake. This recipe is from Kate's new cookbook Love Is In the Mix.
Cake2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup hot decaf coffee
Frosting3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
5 cups confestioners' sugar
2/3 cup milk
As many as you like Gummy candies or M&M's to decorate
For The Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix well.
3. Turn the mixer off, and then add the boiling water and hot coffee and mix on the lowest setting.
4. Mix well and pour immediately into two round 8-inch cake pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray or greased and dusted with flour.
5. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Frosting
1. Cream the butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of a standing mixer. Whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Add the vanilla and continue mixing. Slowly add the cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar, and then add the milk, a tablespoon or two at a time, until all of the ingredients have been added. Whip on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Allow the cake to cool. Place one layer of the cake on a plate and frost the top with a thick even layer of frosting. Place the other layer carefully on top and evenly frost the top and the sides of both layers.
4. Decorate with gummy candy or M&M's.