Here's a fun and crafty recipe for caramel apples from Chef Kyla Eaglesham, featuring Werther's Original Caramels. Get the kids involved and let them create their own delicious treats!
75 pieces Werther's Original Chewy caramels, unwrapped
2 tbsp (30 mL) evaporated milk or 35% cream
2 ounces (60 g ) dark chocolate
2 ounces (60 g) white chocolate
6 wooden skewers, popsicle sticks, or cinnamon sticks
6 medium Granny Smith apples
as needed assorted candies , for decorating
1. Insert skewers into apples.
2. Place unwrapped caramels and evaporated milk in medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring every 30-45 seconds until fully melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Or, melt unwrapped caramels and evaorated milk in a medium pot over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Dip each apple in the melted caramel, using a spoon to pour over and coat evenly. The caramel thickens as it cools so it is best to work quickly. If necessary, return the caramel to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time to return it to dipping consistency. Place apples on parchment lined tray.
4. Meanwhile, place dark chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 80% heat setting, stirring every 30 seconds until melted, about 60 seconds. Repeat with white chocolate. Be careful not to burn chocolate.
5. Apply chocolate and candies as to form faces. Have fun and let your creativity shine!
6. Enjoy that day, or keep refrigerated overnight.
Yield: 6 servings