Perfect with your foolproof yorkshires, Chef Jonathan Collins' rustic stew has a tasty secret ingredient: dark stout beer.
2 lbs Stewing Beef, cubed
1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
3 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 cup chopped Carrots
1 cup chopped Celery Heart
1 cup chopped Yellow Onion
1 cup sliced Leeks, white and light green parts only
3 whole Garlic Cloves
1 pint Dark Stout Beer
1 tbsp chopped Fresh Thyme
1 tbsp chopped Fresh Rosemary
pinch Cayenne Pepper
Black pepper and Kosher Salt to taste
1. Cube the beef into bit-size pieces trimming excess fat or gristle.
2. Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat.
3. Toss beef with flour, season with salt and pepper, brown the meat on all sides.
4. Rough chop carrots, celery, onions and leek.
5. Remove beef, adding tomato puree, sauté until browned.
6. Combine carrots, celery, onions, leek and chopped garlic and cook until tender.
7. Return the beef to the pot and any drippings.
8. Deglaze the pan with the dark stout beer, continue to cook until almost dry.
9. Add water to cover ingredients, adding fresh herbs
10. Simmer for 2-3 hours until the liquid has thickened and meat is tender. 10. Season with salt and pepper to taste