Chock full of bone-building ingredients, Peggy K's FAB (Fig, Almond and Banana) smoothie trumps a regular glass of milk when it comes to bone health.
1 frozen banana, ripe
3/4 cup dried figs, re-hydrated in water (so they become plump)
2 cups almond milk
2 Tbs raw almond butter
Add all ingredients into blender and blend
- Figs are amongst the richest fruit sources of calcium. One cup of figs contains just as much calcium as a cup of milk. Plus, it's one of the richest fruit sources of magnesium, which helps with the absorption of calcium.
- Figs are also a source of vitamin K. Vitamin K helpscreate bone-forming cells (required for strong healthy bones) and helps to deliver calcium from your blood to your bones so that it sticks.
- Bananas are also a rich source of magnesium, promoting bone health, while almonds are rich in calcium and magnesium.
- This shake significantly trumps a regular glass of milk in terms of bone health.
- It's also alkaline-forming. Alkaline-forming foods contribute to a positive calcium balance and helps to preserve the minerals in your bones.