Searching for a new way to serve up Brussels sprouts? Look no further than this great recipe from Chef Vikram Vij! This dish combines the best of bacon, flavourful spices and paneer (a fresh Indian cheese). Look for paneer in the cheese section of your local grocery store.
1 1 /2 lbs Brussels sprouts
12 oz bacon, about 12 strips
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
3 cups pureed tomatoes
to taste salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups water
6 oz paneer, cut in 1 inch cubes
1. Wash Brussels sprouts and cut each one in quarters lengthwise. Set aside.
2. Fry bacon strips in large pan over medium-high heat, until light brown and slightly crispy, about 5-6 mins. Transfer cooked bacon to a plate and allow to cool. When cool, cut bacon into 1 inch pieces.
3. Heat oil in a medium shallow pan on medium-high heat for 1 min. Add cumin seeds, stir and allow to sizzle for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir well and cook for 5 to 8 mins or until top glistens with oil.
4. Stir in Brussels sprouts and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 5 to 8 mins or until Brussels sprouts are slightly soft but not mushy.
5. Divide paneer evenly among six plates and pour piping hot Brussels sprouts and its curry over the paneer. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!