Here are three fun ways to make your potato latkes super festive. Just add some natural food colouring to take them to the next level!
Red Latkes: add strained beet juice
Yellow Latkes: add ground turmeric
Green Latkes: add blanched, pureed and strained spinach
2 Cups Potatoes, Peeled and shredded
3 Eggs, beaten
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Peanut Oil, (for frying)
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Onion, grated
- Peel and shred potatos with a grater
- Place the potatoes on a tea towel to extract as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl mix the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt and your natural food colouring together
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Make sure the oil gets hot!
- Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties
- Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other.
- Let cooked latkes drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 10- 12 Latkes