This simple vegetarian dish from Pay Chen is full of bright flavours and is perfect for a light meal. You can easily prepare and serve the tofu, butternut squash and noodles separately as well.
Chili Lime Tofu1 block firm tofu
2 cups broccoli florets
2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup honey, or maple syrup
1 to 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce, or to taste
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup canola or other neutral vegetable oil
1 cup basil, roughly chopped
Roast Butternut Squash1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp chili flakes, or to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
to taste salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
Soba Noodles4 bundles soba noodles, (about 100 g per bundle)
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp green onion, finely sliced
1 tbsp mint, chopped
1 lime, zest and juice
1/2 small shallot, finely minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
Garnishesto taste fresh coriander sprigs, sliced green onions, mint leaves, basil leaves, lime wedges
For the Chili Lime Tofu
- Wrap the tofu in a tea towel and place on a plate or cutting board. Put another plate on top and something heavy on top (a large can of tomatoes or beans works well). Leave for 30min to an hour to drain the tofu of excess water. Cut into ½-inch cubes - put in 9x13 baking dish.
- Blanch the broccoli florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes (until it turns bright green). Remove the broccoli and put in an ice bath. Drain and add to baking dish with tofu.
- In a bowl, mix lime juice, maple syrup, chili garlic sauce to taste (about 1 to 2 tbsp), salt, minced garlic, canola oil.
- Pour mixture over tofu and broccoli. Sprinkle half of the chopped basil and stir to mix. Cover and let marinate in fridge 1 hour up to 8 (or overnight).
- Heat oven to 375. Uncover baking dish and bake 30 to 40 min until sauce is bubbly. You are just heating the tofu and broccoli. Since it can be eaten without being baked, the time is very forgiving.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil before serving.
For the Roast Butternut Squash
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss butternut squash with chili flakes, olive oil, s&p. Roast on lined tray until cooked through and edges are golden brown, about 15 mins. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion until light golden. Season with apple cider vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper.
- Gently toss roasted squash with onion. Can be served as is as a side dish.
For Soba Noodles
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions, and shock in cold water. (Oil lightly so they don't stick.)
- Combine all dressing ingredients. Pour over noodles, and toss to coat evenly.
For Final Assembly
- Plate dressed soba noodles and place warmed Chili Lime Tofu and Roast Butternut Squash over noodles. Arrange garnishes on top. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4 as a light meal