Here's a classic chicken dish featuring mushrooms, shallots and an easy sauce, from Chef Joshna Maharaj. Serve with her cauliflower kale gratin for an easy, no fuss dinner fit for company.
2 tablespoons finely sliced shallot
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 oz mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped sage
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 2 lb total
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp Marsala wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.
- Put flour in a wide shallow bowl. Gently pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick between 2 sheets of plastic wrap using the flat side of a meat pounder or a rolling pin.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, 1 piece at a time, shaking off excess. Transfer to sheets of wax paper, arranging chicken in 1 layer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon each of oil and butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté half of chicken, turning over once, until golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a large heatproof platter, arranging in 1 layer, then put platter in oven to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels and cook remaining chicken in same manner, then transfer to oven.
- Cook shallot in 3 tablespoons butter in an 8- to 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until shallot begins to turn golden, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon sage, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add ½ cup wine to skillet and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, about 30 seconds. Add cream, and mushrooms, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons wine and 1/2 teaspoon sage.
- Briefly return chicken to pan and coat with sauce. Enjoy!
Yield: Serves 4