We all love a good Buffalo-style chicken wing, but they can be a calorie bomb. The skin-to-meat ratio of a chicken wing makes it fatty enough on its own, but then we deep-fry them, toss them in hot sauce loaded with butter and dunk them in a blue cheese sauce that has as its base mayo and sour cream. For this do-over, Chef Jo Lusted uses skinless drumettes (the meaty upper part of a chicken wing) instead of full chicken wings. She then marinates them in a brine for extra juiciness and flavour, and lightens up both sauces. Even die-hard Buffalo wing purists would approve of these changes!
5 lbs skinless chicken drumettes
Brine1/3 cup kosher or sea salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
8 cups water
Blue Cheese Dip1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp skim milk , or 1% buttermilk
1 small garlic clove, minced
as needed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Buffalo Wing Sauce1 cup vinegar based hot sauce
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare brine: In a large resealable container, whisk salt, honey, vinegar and cayenne into water until dissolved. Add chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare blue cheese dip: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cheese, green onions, milk and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and place a baking rack on top.
- Drain wings, discarding brine. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, turn wings over and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- While wings are baking, prepare sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together hot sauce, butter, honey, vinegar, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Warm over medium heat until barely simmering. Cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with sauce to coat. Serve with blue cheese dip and carrot and celery sticks.
Before: 411 calories, 36 g total fat
Dish Do-Over: 256 calories, 11.5 g total fat
Serving Size: Serves 10 (about 6 pieces per serving)