Dress up your usual mashed potatoes with roasted brown butter and earthy parsnips. Enjoy this delicious side from Chef Jonathan Collins with his citrus-braised lamb shanks and wilted greens with edamame.
1 lb red, yellow, or white potatoes
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup unsalted butter
2 bay leaves
to taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash potatoes, quarter, place in stock pot with cold, salted water to cover.
- Peel parsnips, quarter, add to potatoes, add bay leaves and bring up to a simmer. Cook until potatoes and parsnip are fork tender but not overcooked, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain, reserving some water. Set aside, add butter to stock pot, heat until browned, being careful not to burn.
- Remove bay leaves and using a food mill or ricer, process the potato and parsnip into pot. Add fresh thyme.
- If needed, add reserved water until smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper to finish.
Yield: Serves 4 as a side dish