Lollipops aren't just for kids anymore! Leave it to the fabulous Cocktail Deeva to transform lollipops into grown-up boozy delights! (Be careful with this recipe, it's highly addictive!)
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp hard liquor (e.g. vodka, gin, rum)
2 tbsp cold water
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn syrup
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp food colouring of your choice (optional)
- In a saucepan, mix together 1/4 cup alcohol with water, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring mixture just to a slow boil over medium heat. Use a heatproof spatula to stir.
- Using a candy thermometer, bring mixture to 300 F without stirring.
- Remove from heat and work quickly. Add 2 tbsp alcohol and food colouring (optional). Stir quickly.
- Carefully pour syrup into molds* or drop by tbsp onto a silicone pad. Insert lollipop sticks and give them a twirl so they sit in the middle of the lollipop.
- Let cool completely, then remove from mold or pad and store in an airtight container. Cheers!
*Use molds made specifically for candy that can tolerate high heat.
Cocktail Deeva (a.k.a. Dee Brun) is a cocktail stylist, writer, wife and mother of four but when she grows up, she wants to be Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City. Her motto: "Life is short, so be sure to wear fabulous heels. After all, it's all about a great cocktail and a killer pair of shoes!"