Layering superfoods gives you the most bang for your buck, says Theresa Albert. Feel free to mix and match ingredients, just be sure to choose items that are slightly sticky to make sure your tower holds together. Leftover mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash and hummus work well interspersed between less sticky layers. This dish pleases vegans and vegetarians and is gluten-free, but it can be a great appetizer or side dish with grilled meat, chicken or fish.
1 container hummus
1 bottle blueberry juice
1 large sweet onion
2 cups plain goat cheese, at room temperature
8 cups baby spinach/kale mix
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 can kippered herring
Save an empty tin can and remove both lids, keeping one lid for pressing. This is a great method to make any dish or dessert restaurant-pretty! Theresa likes to collect a variety of sized cans and save multiples to make the process go faster.
Before you assemble your Tower of Power you'll need to prepare some of the cooked layers.
Red Onion Layer
Simmer red onion slices in ½ cup blueberry juice until onion is softened but holds shape and absorbs juice.
- Using the same sauté pan as used for Red Onion Layer, place Kale and Spinach in pan pour ½ cup of Blueberry Juice over top and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Sauté until rendered down about 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan set aside and reserve any liquid.
- Use same pan to make blueberry drizzle with any remaining liquid.
Sweet Potato Layer
Pierce and microwave a sweet potato and mash with butter
Now it's time to assemble the tower of power!
- Use an empty can as the mold for the tower with bottom and top removed (reserve one lid to make unmolding easier.
- Oil inside of can, place on plate.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of hummus, smooth out with spoon.
- Add onion layer, flatten with spoon.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of goat cheese and smooth.
- Place kale /spinach mix next making sure surface is covered. Smooth out with spoon.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of mashed sweet potato mixture, smooth out with spoon.
- Add drained kippered herring next, in circular layer cover surface, pat down with spoon.
- Using 3-4 tablespoons of mashed sweet for top layer smooth with spoon to cover area and create a very smooth top.
- Gently place the lid ring on top and firmly press before you slide the can upward over the veggie tower and repeat for other towers.
- Serve with a side salad of micro greens for a complete meal.
Adapted from a recipe by BlooJuice
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4