This recipe from Joy McCarthy is full of interesting ingredients. The black beans are totally hidden — no one will even know these gems are packed with fiber! The chia seeds are a wonderful source of belly-satiated fiber, good fat and protein. This recipe also includes cacao nibs, which are chocolate in the rawest form. They provide a heavenly dose of phenylethylamine (PEA), which is a chemical that we create naturally when we're excited. It also plays a role in feeling focused and alert because it causes your pulse rate to quicken, resulting in a similar feeling to when we are excited or fall in love! It's also a source of anandamide, which is present in our brain when we feel great. Anandamide is also called "chocolate amphetamine" as it causes changes in blood pressure and blood-sugar levels, leading to feelings of excitement and alertness.
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 medium eggs
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil, at room temp
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor or blender, combine black beans, eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, cacao powder, chia seeds and vanilla.
- Process until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan.
- Level with a spatula and sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan before cutting.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes