Once you try these crispy fried onions, you'll want to put them on everything, not just this easy little salad, from Chef Lynn Crawford.
1 large head Bibb lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
Dressing1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp honey, or to taste
1 tsp minced shallot
as needed salt and pepper
Crispy Fried Onions1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
as needed vegetable oil, for deep frying
2 cups very thinly sliced sweet Vidalia onions, or yellow cooking onions
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Pour dressing over torn Bibb lettuce and toss gently to coat evenly. Garnish with crispy fried onions and serve immediately.
For the fried onions
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper and water to form a smooth batter.
- In a deep sided medium saucepot set over medium-high heat, add oil to a 2-inch depth and heat to 375F (190C).
- Working in several small batches, dredge onions in batter mixture and fry in hot oil until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel lined tray. Salt lightly.
Yield: Serves 4 as a side dish