Who doesn't love spaghetti!? Our lovely nutritionist Theresa Albert shares one of her favourite family recipes that's healthier for you.
Prep time: 30 minutes
1 pound medium ground beef (or chicken or turkey or meatless ground)
1 whole onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole red pepper, grated
1 whole zucchini
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon fennel seed, optional
1 28 oz can canned pumpkin
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
1 4-5 oz can tomato paste
1 cup red wine (or water)
1/4 cup chia (Salba) seeds
8 cups whole wheat penne
- Brown meat and drain all fat through a strainer, run under hot water.
- Use 1 tablespoon of water to cook onion, garlic and red pepper in pot, add back ground beef.
- Stir in Italian seasoning and fennel seeds.
- Add canned pumpkin and zucchini and simmer to heat through.
- Add tomato sauce and paste, add wine.
- Allow to simmer for an hour, stirring often.
- Add chia seeds just at the end and stir in.
- Serve over pasta.