Style at Home Editor Erin McLaughlin dropped by our studio to talk about making your small space stylish and fabulous. She took us on a tour of two stunning apartments proving that when it comes to stylish décor, size doesn't matter one bit.
Luxury, design, and functionality can all exist in a teeny space. In fact, smaller places can often be easier to decorate because each piece of furniture can really make a statement. Erin showed us two urban apartments in the same building, both designed by Jessica Kelly.
1. Masculine Space:
Erin's favourite features here include:
- A stunning gourmet kitchen with pendant lights, horizontal backsplash tiles and a large furniture-like island with Corian counter finished in thick, chunky edges.
- A custom-designed chaise in lieu of a couch.
- A clear-glass coffee table that makes the space seem more open.
- A bar-height dining table with white-washed surface.
- A wide screen TV recessed into the wall (another space saving tip!)
2. Feminine Space:
In the same building with high cement ceilings, Erin loved the more feminine qualities of this space:
- The open plan kitchen has three feet between the island and the cabinets - scale is so important! If you cut back, things will seem smaller and tighter.
- The linen-covered chairs paired with a rustic bar-height dining table create a gorgeous blend of textures.
- The low-profile sofa is unexpected in a space with high ceilings but it helps the space seem more expansive. Jessica paired them with a pretty palate of pillows in soft lavender, cream and chocolate brown.
- The French-style wallpaper on one wall of the bedroom creates a fresh and airy focal point.
All photos courtesy of Jessica Kelly.