Creating a large warm and welcoming Thanksgiving table is not as hard as you might think; and to prove it, we are going to show you how step-by-step!
Above: table linens, chairs, white plates, chargers, flatware, glassware, all Chairman-Mills; flameless candles, turkey sculptures, garland: Homesense; yellow plates, Pottery Barn; turkey plates, The Bay; pumpkins, florals, serveware, Loblaws; artwork, Art Interiors; paint, Para; rug, W Studio
- Strip your pieces down to the bones. When building a big party, you want to keep the space clutter-free. We have even removed the chairs here to help us get this done quickly and smoothly.
- Lay down some plush towels to protect your table
- Lay down three 2x4 pieces of wood to brace your piece of plywood
- From there all you need is a piece of plywood. Standard in the hardware store is 8' x 4' so pick one up for $20 and use that as your tabletop.
- You need to cover up the plywood, so a borrowed, homemade, or rented table cloth is your best bet.
- Adding a burlap runner will warm up the table and keep the table from looking like a sea of white.
- We rented these chairs from Chair Man Mills. For $80 you can seat 10 people at your table in style.
- The centerpiece does not need to be complicated. Here we have gathered pumpkins, gourds, flowers, and a few candles (flameless!) to dress up the center of the table. The autumn colours and farmer's fair finds are perfectly festive.
- For a fool proof way to set this up, start with the largest pumpkin and flowers in the center and work your way out getting gradually smaller as you go.
- Pumpkin Vase: we just hollowed out one pumpkin and added a cylinder vase to the center. You can then create a floral centerpiece that will last for weeks.
- This dinnerware looks beautiful and decadent, but in fact it was inexpensive and easy to come by.
- Charger: These can be rented, purchase inexpensively, or acquired second hand and will create a great foundation for simple white dinnerware.
- White Dinnerware: Our favorite place for simple white dinnerware is the dollar store, and for a family event has been known to purchase all new pieces.
- A decorative touch like tying your cutlery with a simple piece of ribbon is a great way to add personality to your place setting with little to no cost.
- Similarly, simple organic place cards add a personal yet inexpensive touch to this table. It is the details that can really work to elevate any décor.