Weathered wood is everywhere these days. It's no surprise: The versatile finish can be dressed up or down and made to suit both traditional and contemporary spaces alike. Better yet, you don't have to wait around for mother nature to do the dirty work for you; in fact, you can weather wood yourself at home over a weekend! Here's how:
Above: AMI Designs (left); Chad Eisner (right).
steel wool (grade 0000)
palm sander and sandpaper
paint brush (2- to 3-in. width)
- Place steel wool in jar and fill with vinegar.
- Let sit for 24 hours.
- In the meantime, sand wood surfaces as needed.
- Paint steel wool concoction onto wood and let fully dry.
- Sand as desired (see below).
- For a darker finish, repeat Steps 4 and 5.