Wondering how to incorporate found objects into your decor? Sarah Keenleyside lets us in on a few tips to elevate a room's look with upcycling.
Above: rug, vintage console, stretched tea towel on canvas, upcycled objects on picture ledge, antique printers tray, lamp, travel kitsch, all designer's own; Eames white rocker, Modern Furniture Knockoff
Tips on how to decorate with upcycled objects:
- Lighten up the wood with paint. Too much wood makes a piece look very heavy and takes up a lot of visual space.
- Mixing in clean modern elements with upcycled ones helps keep the decor looking curated as opposed to cluttered.
- Focus on what you like, then EDIT.
- Incorporate some unexpected modern sleek pieces to temper the decor. It adds an element of the unexpected and keeps your decor from looking like a well displayed junk sale.
- Use paint to add interest and colour. Adding colour can make an older object appear more contemporary.
- Keep you wall colour very dark or off-white. This tends to give the items a more curated gallery look. If you are working on a colourful wall, then you will have to keep your pieces more monochromatic.