Andrika Lawren says people often go too safe when it comes to lighting their homes. Re-assess your lighting fixtures to go with the unexpected and interesting!
Above: Wall colour, Brittania Blue, Benjamin Moore; chandelier, chairs, cocktail table, Union Lighting; rug, W Studio
1. Go Big or Go Home. Look for the fixture you think you should have in a space, and then go one size larger.
2. Chandeliers aren't just for dining rooms anymore. Use them in bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms ... anywhere you want to add sparkle and drama!
3. Give Love to Lamps. Lamp lighting is a key element for creating ambiance in a space. If you've got more than one lamp in a room, 40 watt bulbs are a great choice, with only one lamp as the star of the show, a 60 watt bulb is a good bet!
4. There is power in numbers. Hang pendants in multiples. Hang three pendants over an island, try two chandeliers side by side over a long dining table to create instant impact!
5. Be Bold With Shades. Don't be afraid to replace the shade that came with your lamp and opt for something more dramatic. Think big!
Above: Wall colour, Gentleman's Grey, Benjamin Moore; lamp, console, Union Lighting; Rug, W Studio