With a little ingenuity and a modest budget, you too can transform a simple shelf into a showstopping antique-inspired bar. Here's how:
Above, from top: armoire, Naked Furniture; glassware, Pottery Barn; decanters, Indigo; frames, West Elm; Lion's Head ring pulls, Lee Valley & Veritas.
mirrors, cut to size
metallic spray paint in various colours
spray bottle filled with water
glassware and other bar accessories
- Measure dimensions of back wall of each shelf. Have glass-store clerk cut pieces of mirror to fit.
- Clean and dry mirrors well.
- Spray mirror with water. Be sure spray bottle is set to a very fine mist; you want to cover the entire surface of the mirror in small droplets of water.
- Immediately spray mirror with a light mist of spray paint in various metallic shades (e.g. silver, copper, etc.).
- After 30 seconds, dab mirror with a SpongeTowel. Keep your touch light; you're trying to get rid of the water, not the spray paint. Repeat with mirrors for other shelves.
- Affix antiqued mirrors to backs of shelves using spray adhesive.
- Dress shelves with glassware, bar accessories, tchotchkes, etc., and invite some friends over for a drink!