2 tsp olive oil (plus extra on hand)
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup oyster mushrooms, pulled into threads
1/2 Spanish onion, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups of PC Blue Menu Chicken Broth
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
1 can PC Blue Menu Small Sweet Tender Peas, drained and washed well
1/2 cup fresh herbs (e.g. parsley, basil and rosemary), chopped
2 tbsp PC Blue Menu Goat's Milk Cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté mushrooms in 1 tsp olive oil until tender; remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add remaining tsp olive oil along with garlic and onion; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add quinoa and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Do not allow quinoa to brown; add a touch more olive oil if mixture appears to be excessively dry.
- Add vinegar and chicken stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is almost tender to the bite but slightly firm in the centre, about 12 minutes. Note: If you prefer your risotto to have a looser consistency, add a bit more chicken stock.
- Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, peas, herbs and goat's cheese and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Serve with pan-roasted chicken breast.
Live Right Now is a national CBC initiative to encourage Canadians to live healthier lives. Want to be part of the movement? Visit LiveRightNow.ca.