By Rodney Bowers
1 L whole milk, at room temperature
375 mL sparkling water, at room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla or your choice of flavoured rum
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
- Whisk together sugar and milk.
- Float yeast onto milk and let stand for 10-15 min someplace warm (not hot).
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, rum and brown butter; once yeast has frothed, add egg mixture to milk and yeast. Add sparkling water.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside in the fridge.
- Sift together flour and salt; incorporate with liquid until batter just comes together; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Gently fold in egg whites and let stand 15-20 minutes before cooking.
- Grease waffle iron; cook waffles according to appliance instructions. Serve with lots of syrup, butter and your choice of toppings or alongside fried chicken—southern style!