Our frugalista, Amrita Singh, doesn't crack open her wallet easily, but there's one item she's willing to shell out for: pure grapefruit essential oil. The initial $10 investment may seem high by frugalista standards, but you can put that one bottle to a seemingly endless amount of uses around the house. Here are five of her favourites:
Before mealtime, dab a drop or two of grapefruit essential oil into the palm of your clean hands. Rub palms together to warm the oil and then cup hands to your face and inhale deeply. Drink a cool glass of water right away. You will immediately feel energized and rejuvenated. Better yet, it also acts as a natural appetite suppressant. The scent of grapefruit curbs cravings, and its calming properties (along with the water) soothe the stomach, causing you to eat less.
2. DIY Disinfecting Wipes
The antiviral and antimicrobial properties of grapefruit essential oil make it an effective disinfectant.
- Find a plastic container (with lid) to hold your wipes and set aside. Cut a roll of quality paper towels in half or to fit inside container.
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup water with 1 cup vinegar; add 10 drops grapefruit essential oil to water mixture and stir gently.
- Pour half of liquid into bottom of container; place paper towel roll in container; pour remaining solution on top of paper towel. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Remove cardboard roll from paper towels.
- Pull wipes from centre of and start using! They're great on countertops, light switches, door handles and in the car, too.
3. Cooling Skin Treatment
The anti-inflammatory properties of green tea combine with the disinfecting properties of grapefruit essential oil to shrink pores, combat acne and soothe irritated skin.
- Pour contents of 1 bag organic green tea into a mixing bowl. Add 2 cups boiling water; let tea steep and cool.
- Add 6 drops of grapefruit essential oil; stir gently.
- Pour oil-infused tea into ice cube trays and cover with plastic wrap. Poke popsicle sticks through plastic; freeze. Remove plastic wrap before using.
- Rub 1 tea cube over your face before bed*.
*Grapefruit essential oil is photosensitive. If you're going to apply it directly to your skin, you should avoid direct exposure to the sun immediately after, which is why it's best to use this cooling treatment at night before bed.
4. Homemade Air Freshener
The scent of grapefruit essential oil is so invigorating it can perk up any room in your house—even the bathroom! Simply add a few drops of grapefruit essential oil to cotton balls and hide them around the house. Be sure to stash one in the toilet paper tube!
5. Mattress Refresher
Baking soda plus grapefruit essential oil makes an effective odour-eliminating mattress freshener.
- Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into a plastic container; add 4 drops of grapefruit essential oil. Cover container and shake well (or use a fork to incorporate thoroughly).
- Use a kitchen strainer to sprinkle powder overtop of bare mattress; let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Vacuum mattress to lift powder. Dress bed and sleep like a baby!
Amrita Singh is a content producer at Steven and Chris and has been known as a frugalistafor many years. Her motto? Saving dollars makes lots of cents!