This filling braise will not only tickle your taste buds, but will feed your family for the better part of a week!
By Voula Halliday
Makes 4 to 6 servings* with leftovers
6 lb. (3 kg) thickly cut bone-in beef short ribs or 5 lb. (2.5 kg) boneless stewing beef
6 slices bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp (45 mL) Voula's zesty beef seasoning
1 10-oz. (284-mL) can undiluted beef broth
1 28-oz. (796-mL) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- Place bacon into a large, wide saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally until bacon is just crisp.
- Add 1/3 of beef into pan; sear without stirring for about 1 to 2 minutes per side until a nutty, brown crust is formed. Remove all meat from pan. Repeat with remaining beef, working in batches.
- Reduce heat to medium then add onions; cook, stirring often, until onions start to soften. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly, for another minute until garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in seasoning, then beef broth and crushed tomatoes until evenly combined.
- Return cooked bacon, beef and juices to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Note: To store leftover beef, first separate sauce from meat. (You should have about 4 cups (1 L) sauce total.) Remove bones from beef and discard. Store in 1-cup (250-mL) containers for later use. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze.
*Based on standard 1/2 cup (125 mL) protein per serving per person.
- In a pinch, substitute chicken for beef broth, adding 1 tbsp (30 mL) tamari or soy sauce to boost flavour and add a beefy complexity to the dish.
- If you don't have any of Voula's seasoning mix on hand, substitute 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder and 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme. It will give you a different flavour that's just as good.
Voula's Zesty Beef Seasoning
The perfect seasoning for braised beef, this blend is also delicious as a rub for grilled beef and ribs or on chicken, pork, lamb or game.
Makes 1/2 cup (125 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL) oregano
1/4 cup (50 mL) chili powder
1 tbsp (15 mL) onion powder
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet smoked paprika or sweet paprika
Combine all ingredients and store in a jar until ready to use.