By Kyla Eaglesham
375 g flour (about 2 3/4 cups)
50 g sugar (about 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter
300 mL buttermilk or 285 mL whole milk plus 1 tbsp lemon juice (let rest for 15 minutes to thicken)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (or your favourite dried fruit)
zest of 1 orange
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well with a wire whip to ensure even distribution of leavening agents (i.e. baking soda and powder).
- Add orange zest and toss.
- Add butter and blend with a pastry fork until mixture resembles chunky oatmeal.
- Add buttermilk and cranberries; mix until it has the texture of thick paste.
- Drop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet into 12 even-sized scones.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Substitute lemon zest and fresh blueberries for orange and cranberries or experiment with sweet herbs, such as lavender, thyme or rosemary, and your favourite berry.
- Make mini scones and reduce cooking time to 12 minutes.